The Mathematics department at Rangitoto College has the objective of ensuring that all our students leave school with at least the required qualifications needed for entrance to University. We employ highly qualified teaching staff that includes specialists in both Statistics and Calculus. We have designed several courses aimed at maximising the potential of all our students and adopt industry leading best practice processes.
When deciding my subject choices for year 12 I was unsure of my future career path so I decided to take a wide range of subjects. Calculus was one of my chosen subjects as it is an important subject for certain university degrees and I feel it will provide me with beneficial skills throughout life.
Courses on Offer
Year 13: Calculus, Statistics, Scholarship classes in both disciplines
Year 12: Calculus, Statistics, Calculus Extension, Statistics Extension, Maths Acceleration
Year 11: Maths Extension, Maths External, Maths Internal, Maths Numeracy
Year 10: All of our Year 10 classes are streamed so that pupils work in a challenging environment with students of a similar ability. Extension classes are also offered at this level.
Year 9: The majority of Year 9 pupils are streamed with extension classes available
I chose to do Stats because it’s going to help me in the future at university. I really like report writing and analysing.
Mathematics Department 2016
Extra Curricular Activities
The Rangitoto Mathematics Department has numerous extra-curricular activities that are associated with the department.
- Mathematics week.
- Mathematics Competitions.
We encourage as many students as possible to enter the competitions that are available throughout the year. Maths competitions encourage and stimulate problem-solving skills crucial to high levels of achievement in Mathematics. The competitions that are available are as follows:
- National Bank Junior Mathematics Competition (open to Year 9, 10 and Year 11 students).
- Mathex Team competition for Year 9 and Year 10. It is a team based activity where the best teams from schools around New Zealand will compete against each other in order to win prizes for the school.
- Otago Uni/ETON Press Senior Maths Competition – Open to Year 12 and Year 13 students.
- UNSW Australia Mathematics Competition – mid-year – open to Year 9, Year 10 and Year 11 students.
- ICAS Mathematics Competition - mid year - open to Year 9, Year 10 and Year 11 students.
Maths Week is a nationwide activity undertaken by schools to promote mathematics in schools. At Rangitoto College, we celebrate maths with a number of activities that both students and staff are involved in.
I took Calculus Extension because I enjoy solving equations and maths problems. I find that this subject really challenges me and keeps me thinking in class.